Monday 27 July 2009

Question+Answers= Students Ni8mare@lecturers insanity quotient


While sitting on the desk as a student and probably hearing the lecture, I often imagined how do these lecturers correct our almost non-legible-sense papers.And today while I sit on the desk as a lecturer distributing corrected answer scripts, I say- "Gosh,I feel like God!".

While you see each of the student's tension as how did they fare the exams, an emotion of sadism is indefinitely prominent. There is some kind of power you feel. It's like you are holding these petrified souls by their throat, knowing the fact that a single digit can make a hell out of heaven or the vice-verse. That's why I hate numbers. They decide everything, from your age to weight to grades on your certificate and hence the pressure to perform, so claims the world!

Now listen to the exodus I walked through while correcting these answer scripts. There were quite a many storms I faced. Most of it was the storm of alphabets being wiped out in front of my eyes. I had to gouge out my owl like eyes to read what they have written. So therefore I was doubting whether I was growing blind but then I realised they just could not differentiate between the alphabet's 'S'& 'A', which are next to each other on every possible keyboard.

Talking of computers, they have made us lazy. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V/X has made our life so much easy and influential that I saw their traits on these answer scripts. How? For 2 different questions, this student ended up writing the same answer. Now the same thought, but the poor chap did take the effort of writing it again.Feeling compassionate I gave him grace marks. At this level I had already lost on my eyes and my thinking abilities.

The worst nightmare was definitions. They not only changed the entire meaning of it but also the person who penned it. May his/her soul rest in peace! I say this because they have re-christened their names that probably would have resurrected those great thinkers from the grave.Hmmm!

My students did comment that the question paper was a little confusing and tough. Well, that's a practical truth I thought. No matter how much you study, one does go blank out while seeing the paper and while receiving marks, sooner or later.

The journey of teaching is physically, mentally and emotionally stressful. And correcting papers is even more. The reason being if you correct strictly your students may fail, you correct leniently, your students will take you for a ride. If your students fail, as a teacher you will be held responsible. At both sides I am at the receiving end.

For a minute I think I'm God the very next a helpless sheep. Truly this journey of Q+A is definitely a nightmare for both the parties.

No comments: